Only 1,000 of these William Jenks designed long guns were manufactured by N. P. Ames of Springfield, Massachusetts on an 1841 contract with the U.S. Navy. All were completed and delivered by 1844. Most were .54 caliber rifles, but some, like this example, were manufactured as .52 caliber smoothbores. It is marked "WM JENKS" and "N.P.AMES/SPRINGFIELD/MASS" on the back action lock, "WM JENKS (parallel to the bore)/USN/RP/P/1843 (perpendicular to the bore) on the top of the barrel near the breech, and a "P" on the left barrel flat at the breech and on the buttplate tang. The stock has two script cartouches on the left flat that appear to read "RP" ( Richard Paine) and "JL" (Lt. Joseph Lanman). It has a bayonet lug on the bottom of the barrel, blade front sight on the front barrel band, "mule ear" percussion hammer, and a hinged breechblock with sight groove, integral rammer, and "6/0" marking.