All chairs appear to retain their original finish. \nExceedingly rare for having survived as a large set and retaining their original surface, these maple side chairs with “spoon backs” and “crook’d feet” were originally owned by the Johnson family of Philadelphia, successful tanners, property holders and Quakers, and stood for approximately 130 years in their home, the Johnson House, located in Germantown. The house was completed in 1768 and given by Dirck Jansen, an early settler of Germantown, to his son John Johnson on the occasion of his marriage to Rachel Livezey in 1769 (Harold Eberlein and Courtlandt van Dyke Hubbard, Portrait of a Colonial City, Philadelphia, 1670-1838, p. 380). The present chairs were most likely purchased around the time of their marriage, probably from William Savery (1721/2-1787), the Philadelphia chairmaker and a fellow Quaker. The chairs descended through family owners of the Johnson House until 1905. These chairs follow the same design as rush-seat side chairs made by William Savery, who was known to have made a quantity of such chairs, counting some eighty-three examples in stock at one time (William Hornor, Blue Book Philadelphia Furniture, 1935, p. 295). A closely related side chair with Savery’s label sold in these rooms, Important Americana, January 16-7, 1999, sale 7253, lot 766 est. $20,000-40,000 for $134,500. It displays differences in the splat profile, shaping of the skirt, and turnings of the front stretcher but is otherwise identical. Another rush-seat side chair with Savery’s label illustrated as pl. 462 of Hornor is also very similar in design to the present chairs. A variant of the design is found on a maple side chair attributed to Savery that sold in these rooms, The Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Lammot du Pont Copeland, January 19, 2002, sale 7757, lot 356.\nA maple dressing table in a private collection with the same family history in the Johnson Family also bears an attribution to William Savery. It was included in the exhibition, Philadelphia: Three Centuries of American Art, held at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in 1976 and illustrated in the accompanying catalogue as no. 40, pp. 51-2.