Sold Sothebys, London, 28th October 1932, Property of the Dowager Countess of Gosford of 5, Orchard Court, Portman Square. Lot 86 Bought by Mallets for £280.
Lady Louisa Montague DBE, L.G. St John (formerly Lady of the Bedchamber to Her Majesty Queen Alexandra), second daughter of the 7th Duke of Manchester, K.P. She married Archibald Brabazan Sparrow Acheson, 4th Earl of Gosford, K.P. Vice Admiral of the Province of Ulster; Knight Grand Cross of the Orders of the Dannebrog, the Redeemer of Greece, and the White Eagle of Russia; Lord of the Bedchamber to H.R.H. The Prince of Wales, 1886-1901 and Vic Chamberlain to H.M Queen Alexandra 1901; hon col 3rd batt Royal Irish Fusiliers.
Seat: Richhill, County Armagh, town residence Falmouth House, Clarendon Place, W2.
The Iden Collection (illustrated and discussed in the catalogue of the collection by Percy G Dawson and published by the Antique Collectors Club in 1987, pages 96-97).
Exhibited at Temple Newsam House in the 1949 exhibition 'Clocks 1600-1860' Masterpieces of the North' Sept 3rd to Ocotber 9th 1949.
Purchased some time in the 1940s from Thornton of York for £1000 by H.W. Baxter.
Harold Wildsmith Baxter was one of the great post war collectors of Early English clocks. Fromanteel longcase now in the British Museum, a Roman striking Knibb, an Edward East bracket clock, a Knibb longcase clock (formerly in the Fitzwilliam Museum, Canmbridge), a Tompion bracket clock, a Windmills bracket clock, a Knibb bracket clcok, a Quare bracket clock, a Gould longcase, a William Cattell bracket clock.
Knibb lantern clock
Given by Mr Baxter to his daughter and from her to the current vendor.
The gilt brass dial measuring 7 1/8ths of an inch by 8inches and boldly signed in capital letters across the upper section "THO:TOMPION + EDW. BANGER/ Londini FECIT" around engraved foliate details and flanked by twin silvered subsidiary dials for regulation (marked in Arabic fives from 0 to 60) and for the strike/silent selection, both with fettled blued steel hands; the lower portion of the dial set with double-screwed gilt cherubs head and scroll spandrels enclosing the silvered Roman and Arabic chapter ring with cross-shaped half-quarter marks and sword-hilt half hour marks, the centre finely matted and displaying a large mock pendulum aperture with chamfered inner edge, with typical blued steel hands and latched dial feet to the substantial twin wire fusee movement.
40.5cms (16ins) to the top of the handle.